Close Menu
Philadelphia Criminal Attorney > Allentown Family Attorney > Allentown Child Support Attorney

Allentown Child Support Attorney

When the parents of a child decide to divorce or to raise the child separately for another reason, it is important that a child support order is issued; a child deserves to be provided for by both parents, even if the parents are not living together. As such, if you have a minor child and you seek a divorce or separation, a child support order will be part of the final settlement. At the law offices of van der Veen, Hartshorn, and Levin, our Allentown child support attorneys can help you to understand how child support is calculated in our state and how to seek a support order. Call us today for the guidance you need.

How Is Child Support Calculated and Who Has to Pay Support?

The court holds that both parents have a financial responsibility to their minor children. If parents are not living together and raising the child jointly as such, the court will assume that the parent who has primary custody of the child is providing financial support by virtue of that custody; therefore, the non-custodial parent will be ordered to make child support payments. Child support payments are non-negotiable and, once an order is issued by the court, payments must be made on time and in full.

Pennsylvania relies on a child support schedule to determine how much child support a parent owes. In order to determine the amount, the net income of each parent is considered and added together, and the number of children for whom support will be provided is considered. Then, each parent is responsible for the amount of child support–according to the schedule of support–in proportion to their income. For example, the child support guidelines hold that parents with a combined monthly net income of $7,500 and one child should allocate $1,249 per month to that child. If the non-custodial parent provides 65 percent of the $7,500, then they will be responsible for 65 percent of the $1,249, or about $812 per month.

How to Get a Child Support Order

For mothers, the first step in seeking a child support order from your child’s biological father is to ensure that paternity has been established. If paternity has not been established, then the father has neither legal rights nor legal obligations related to providing for the child. Please call our law firm for help with establishing paternity.

For both parents, if paternity has already been established, then the issue of child support will likely be determined in conjunction with another family law decision, such as the custody of the child. If you already have a child support order in place and need to seek a modification of a support order or enforcement of a child support order, our lawyers can help.

Call Our Allentown Child Support Attorneys Today

Making sure that your child is provided for financially is an important part of their wellbeing. If you are seeking a child support order or have questions about child support, our Allentown child support lawyers can help. Please call us today for a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn