Pedestrian Safety Tips
Pedestrian face many dangers when walking beside a road. A person may be the unfortunate victim of a vehicle accident or truck collision. It is important for pedestrians to be mindful and attentive when on foot. Motorists often do not see pedestrians because they can be easily overlooked. Drivers hold the burden of watching out for pedestrians. If you were a pedestrian that was injured in accident, an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney will develop a winning strategy so that you can recover full and fair compensation.
Tips to Help Avoid Being a Victim of an Accident
- Always use a sidewalk when one is available.
- Face oncoming traffic if there is no sidewalk.
- Sidewalks are not always available. If that is the case, face toward oncoming cars to increase your visibility to drivers.
- Take the extra time to use a sidewalk even if it is out of your way.
- It may take an extra few minutes but using a crosswalk is always the safer choice. Focus on your safety first.
- Use common sense when crossing the street.
- Do not rush out into the street as the crosswalk signal is changing. Avoid walking along the edges of the crosswalk. Move in a way that is most effective to allow vehicles to see you.
- Make yourself visible to drivers.
- Carry a flashlight or wear reflective clothing when it is dark outside.
- Avoid engaging in distracted behavior.
- Stay aware of your surroundings and try not to use your cellphone or wear headphones. Cell phones are distracting because they take your focus away from your surroundings. You may be unable to hear approaching traffic if you are wearing your headphones. Be alert to what is happening around you.
Always Get Medical Attention Following an Accident
Seek medical attention immediately. Even if you do not think your injuries are serious, it is important to get a full medical evaluation anyway. Often an injured accident victim does not feel the pain initially. A lot is happening during the time an accident is taking place. You are distracted, in shock, and overwhelmed. Just because you are not feeling any pain right away or have no visible wounds does not mean you were not injured. Internal injuries can be very severe and deadly.
Make sure you get a full examination from a doctor. Not only is this important for your personal well being, it is also essential to your pedestrian accident claim. You want to have a record and as much proof as possible when you are suing a negligent driver. Medical evidence is the best and often only way to fully document the harm and injury you sustained.
Meet with a Compassionate, Skilled Attorney
You are entitled to financial compensation for your injuries. The driver liable for your injuries owes you financial damages. You are entitled to relief for medical expenses and bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. van der Veen, Hartshorn, and Levin in Philadelphia will help you recover full compensation. Set up a free, confidential consultation with a skilled pedestrian accident lawyer today. We have served many clients and helped them recover from serious accidents. Let us do the same for you.