Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney
The uncompromising voice of car crash victims throughout Pennsylvania
A car accident affects every facet of your life. Property damage can set you back financially and loss of transportation impacts your ability to work and care for your family. Finances are just the beginning—accident injuries can be devastating. Depending on the severity of the crash, you may be facing overwhelming medical bills, ongoing care, or lifelong physical impairment. These are serious cases. If you have been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another party look to van der Veen, Hartshorn, and Levin to get you back on your feet quickly. Lean on me and my team of skilled Philadelphia car accident attorneys for strength during your recovery.
There are a number of important steps to take after a crash to create the best outcome for your case. In addition to seeking medical care, filing a police report, and notifying your insurance company about the accident, your next step should be contacting an experienced Philadelphia car accident attorney for legal representation. Working with an experienced Philadelphia car crash attorney is highly advised, even if you think that your case is straightforward and that you are guaranteed a settlement.
Bringing determination and experience to your car accident case
An auto accident case may seem simple at face value, however, these cases are not easy to handle on your own. Many people do not realize the process that goes into successfully pursuing a car accident claim:
- Conducting a comprehensive investigation—It is imperative to fully investigate crashes. This includes documenting the crash scene, obtaining medical records, and collecting law enforcement records. Without an attorney, many people miss these steps, which can prove fatal to the success of your case. We bring extraordinary skill to accident investigations. Having our tenacious Philadelphia car accident attorneys by your side maximizes your chances of a favorable resolution.
- Identifying all liable parties—Many people assume they know who was at fault in their accident. It is not uncommon, however, for multiple parties to be at fault and potentially liable. Lacking knowledge of the law and experience handling motor vehicle crashes, accident victims can easily overlook responsible parties. We identify all parties who may be liable for your injuries, to make sure you recover from all.
- Securing maximum compensation—When insurance companies, other drivers, and defense attorneys know you do not have an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, they take advantage of you during settlement negotiations. An experienced car accident attorney is instrumental in ensuring that you receive the full compensation to which you are entitled. We are not afraid to take on insurance companies and defense teams, whether in negotiations or trial.
If you have been injured in a car crash due to the negligence of another, you cannot afford to take matters into your own hands. As highly skilled car accident attorneys in Philadelphia, we take the burden of pursuing justice and rightful compensation off your shoulders. With decades of hands-on car accident experience, we position you to successfully recover quickly and fully.
What are common causes of car accidents in Pennsylvania?
Every year, thousands of motor vehicle crashes occur for a variety of reasons:
- Texting while driving—Taking your eyes off the road for mere seconds can result in a horrible accident. Every year, thousands of people are injured in accidents caused by individuals who are texting while driving.
- Driving while impaired—Consuming alcohol or drugs and driving is a devastating combination. With impaired motor skills and decreased inhibitions, drunk drivers can precipitate serious crashes.
- Driving while fatigued—Many people get behind the wheel when they are tired. However, fatigue has a similar impact on drivers as alcohol, increasing the probability of an accident.
No matter the circumstances under which collisions happen, it is important to consult a knowledgeable Philadelphia accident injury attorney right away to handle your case. Trust me and my team of aggressive injury attorneys to answer all your questions and honestly assess what is best for you. We fight for the best possible results for you and your family.
Types of Car Accident Claims
Most car accidents happen because of negligence, which is the failure to exercise a certain level of caution while operating a vehicle. The Philadelphia car crash attorneys, along with your insurance company, will conduct a preliminary investigation to identify whether you were negligent or not.
To have the best chances of winning the case, the experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers must prove that the defendant’s negligence caused the accident. Some examples are negligent drivers, reckless drivers, intoxicated drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and those who text and drive.
If your vehicle, or the defendant’s vehicle had a defect contributed to the accident, the injured party may have a claim against the manufacturer of the vehicle or one of its many parts. If the car had a faulty manufacturing issue, the manufacturer can be held responsible regardless of who was actually at fault for the accident.
The Philadelphia auto accident attorneys must prove that you were not at fault for the accident, and that the defect happened due to the manufacturing process. Usually they bring in expert testimony and analysis as evidence to prove that the defect caused or contributed to the accident. Successful lawsuits will require the plaintiff to show:
- The defective car or part was “unreasonably dangerous”
- The vehicle was being operated safely
- The vehicle’s performance had not changed since purchase
Then there’s faulty construction, design, or maintenance of roads. This can contribute to car crashes and have nothing to do with the drivers. This type of claim will prove the plaintiff and defendant not guilty due to circumstances beyond their control.
Types of Car Crash Injuries and Compensation You May Be Entitled To
The extent and severity of injuries suffered will vary with each individual case. In some cases, treatment for injuries will not be covered by insurance. The Philadelphia car accident lawyers help cover costs of injuries that include:
- Burns and scars
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Joint, muscle, back, neck, and bone injuries
- Knee damage
- Permanent disability
If you are pursuing further compensation for damages, your attorney will approach the negligent party’s insurance company in an attempt to recover compensation to cover your remaining costs. Your claim will be submitted for approval to the insurance company, which will have led an investigation of its own.
The success of your claim will likely depend on the ability of your attorney to collect, analyze, and present evidence. It can be particularly challenging considering the opposing insurance company will clearly want to minimize their disbursement.
Providing your attorney with as much information as possible can help your odds of winning the case. If your attorney and the insurance company cannot agree on a settlement, often the case may proceed to trial.
In addition to these, our experienced Philadelphia car accident attorneys can help you obtain compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
What if I was the one at fault in a car accident?
Accidents happen. It is common for people to think they were at fault in an accident when—in reality—they were not. For this reason, it is vital to never assume or admit to any fault at the scene of a crash. There are many factors to consider in proving fault, and only an experienced Philadelphia car accident attorney can assess the degree to which you are negligent. Furthermore, because Pennsylvania law allows multiple parties in an accident to share fault, even if you believe your actions played a role in causing the accident, this does not prohibit your ability to recover compensation. Do not let fears that you are at fault keep you from consulting our firm to build a strong case on your behalf.
Philadelphia Car Accident Attorneys Assist with Wrongful Death Claims
If you have lost a loved one in an auto accident, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit. In these cases, the family or survivors of the victim must prove that their loved one was killed as a result of another’s negligence. You can gain economic, non-economic, and punitive damages.
Call our accomplished Philadelphia car accident attorneys today to champion your case
If you have been injured, you need aggressive representation right away. While we aggressively seek compensation from negligent parties, we provide the compassionate representation you need to focus on recovery. Our Philadelphia car accident attorneys are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to take your call, and through a free initial consultation, we work quickly to develop a winning strategy for you. Contact van der Veen, Hartshorn, and Levin online or call 215-515-6892. You can also visit the firm’s downtown Philadelphia office, easily accessible on the SEPTA line.