Philadelphia Aggravated Assault Attorney
Aggravated assault charges are serious felony offenses requiring a staunch and dedicated advocate at your side
Assault charges in Pennsylvania are classified as either simple assault or aggravated assault. By far the more serious of the two types is aggravated assault, for which you could be sentenced to serve up to 20 years in prison if you are convicted. The respected Philadelphia aggravated assault attorneys at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin have earned a notable reputation as the toughest, most aggressive legal advocates in Philadelphia.
Savvy legal counsel when the stakes are high
A misdemeanor simple assault can be escalated to a felony aggravated assault charge very easily by prosecutors depending upon the facts of a particular situation. The aggravated assault law provides prosecutors with a long list of situations that can put you in jeopardy of going to prison. Among the situations that could be felony assaults include any of the following:
- Causing, or attempting to cause, serious bodily injury to another person while exhibiting indifference to human life
- Using noxious gases or an incapacitating device on public officials while they were acting in their official capacity
- Threatening to do bodily harm to public officials acting within the scope of their official duties
- Causing, or attempting to cause, harm to a school employee or official
- Causing, or attempting to cause, bodily injury to someone with the use of a deadly weapon
- Causing, or attempting to cause, bodily injury to a public official acting within the scope of his or her official duties
- Attempting to cause, or causing, serious bodily injury to a public transportation official or public transportation employee while the person is on duty
An incapacitating device as referred to in the statute includes a Taser, stun gun or other such device. Noxious gases include pepper spray, tear gas and Mace.
Skilled legal counsel fighting against the harsh penalties of a conviction
Aggravated assault is either a second degree felony or a first degree felony depending upon the facts of a particular case. The possible sentences a court may impose include:
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon: This is a second degree felony punishable by imprisonment for up to 10 years.
- Aggravated assault involving indifference to human life: This is a first degree felony punishable by a prison sentence of up to 20 years.
- Aggravated assault against a public transportation employee: This is punishable by up to 20 years in prison as a first degree felony.
The other situations constituting aggravated assault under the statute are second degree felonies. Because of the seriousness of the charges it is not uncommon for prosecutors to ask judges to impose the maximum possible sentence.
Innovative defense strategies to fight the allegations made against you
Our top-notch Philadelphia criminal defense team works with you to craft a defense strategy tailored to the facts and circumstances unique to your case. Self-defense might be a defense in situations in which the victim provoked the initial confrontation. Improper police practices in collecting evidence or obtaining a statement from you might be available as a defense.
Contact our savvy Philadelphia criminal defense attorneys if you are facing aggravated assault charges
At van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin, our client-focused Philadelphia aggravated assault defense attorneys put their skills and knowledge to work fighting against the allegations prosecutors make against you. Our defense attorneys never lose sight of the fact that aggravated assault charges are only allegations which prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Call us at (215) 486-0123 today to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our defense team. You can also contact us by using the convenient online form.
Rape Case Not Guilty
Second Impeachment Trial of President Donald Trump Acquittal
DUI Not Guilty
Child Pornography Not Guilty
Governor’s pardon Pardon Granted
Governor’s pardon Pardon Granted
Arson Charges Dropped
Aggravated Assault Not Guilty
Drug Trafficking Not Guilty
Embezzlement Charges Dropped
Throughout the years, our firm and our individual attorneys have been recognized in both local and national media for our extensive legal knowledge, experience, and record of success. Our attorneys frequently appear in the media to provide insight and information on various legal matters, including high-profile cases.
Unrivaled Record of SuccessWe have won tens of millions of dollars for injured victims, and have achieved countless "not guilty" verdicts for clients faced with criminal charges.
No Challenge too BigOur firm has handled some of the biggest cases in country, including representing the President of the United States.
We understand that every case is unique. Therefore, we tailor our approach based on the facts of the case and the needs of our client.
Uncompromising PassionOur competitive nature is one of our strongest qualities. You can be confident that no other firm will outwork our team.
Holistic ApproachNot only do we want to excel legally for the client, but we also want to make sure we are strengthening their mind, body and spirt.
Supporting the CommunityOur team engages in many community events and regularly donates time and resources to many charitable organizations in Philadelphia.
Home to Philadelphia’s most accomplished attorneys, van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin pairs diverse practice experience with a passion-driven, comprehensive law practice—all for the client’s benefit.