Pedestrians are placed at the greatest risk of being hit by a vehicle when they try to cross streets. On Halloween, this becomes even more dangerous as people cross streets more regularly trying to get to all homes on each side. To prevent an accident from occurring:
- Only cross the street when there is a crosswalk, traffic signal, or street corner present.
- Look both ways, twice, before crossing the street, particularly when crossing at corners.
- While crossing the road, always watch for approaching traffic.
- Do not walk while distracted. Always keep your phone in your pocket and if in your hand, do not use it.
- Never run across a street. Always walk.
- Teach children about basic walking safety.
Sidewalks and paths should always be used by pedestrians. If there are none available, walk as close to the curb as possible and walk facing traffic. Always make sure an adult is supervising children under the age of 12 and choose a route that has the fewest street crossings.
Safety Tips for Driving in Residential Areas
Just as walking safely on Halloween is important, it is just as critical that motorists also drive safely. Of course, this is largely to ensure that everyone gets home safely, but any driver that hits a pedestrian is likely going to be found negligent. The most important driver safety tips to remember are as follows:
- Slow down and remain particularly alert when in residential neighborhoods.
- Always keep an eye out for pedestrians, especially at intersections.
- Remain especially vigilant when exiting driveways and alleys.
- Keep your attention on the road and limit distractions in the vehicle as much as possible.
- Keep your headlights on at all times, even during the day.
- Remember that the prime hours for trick-or-treating are between 5:30 pm and 9:30 pm.
Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Philadelphia Can Help when You are Hurt
Accidents involving pedestrians are some of the worst crashes on the road and if you are involved in a crash, you need legal help right away. At van der Veen, Hartshorn & Levin, our Philadelphia personal injury lawyers will protect your rights and help you recover the fair settlement you deserve. Call us today at (215) 486-0123 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.