Auto Accident Attorney in Philadelphia, PA Fighting on Behalf of Injured Clients in Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, and Throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania
Car accidents can happen in a split second. These accidents can result in injuries ranging from mild scratches to catastrophic or even fatal injuries. If you have suffered serious injuries as a result of another party's negligence, you should not have to shoulder the burden of the accident's consequences on your own. Work with a leading Philadelphia car accident lawyer at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin and fight for the financial compensation you deserve.
Our legal team is committed to holding those responsible for car accidents accountable for their negligence or recklessness. Our experienced attorneys are familiar with the legal process and how insurance companies work. We have successfully recovered compensation on behalf of accident victims in a wide variety of auto accident claims. We will work to recover full compensation on your behalf.
For a Free Legal Consultation With a Car Accident Lawyer Serving Philadelphia, Call 215-486-0123.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a car accident? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin. Schedule a free consultation with an experienced auto accident attorney in Philadelphia, PA, and learn about your rights and the legal options available to you. We are available to discuss the details of your case and help you determine the best approach to take.
Work with an experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyer from our law firm and give yourself the best chance of recovering full compensation for your injuries and losses. We have the experience, knowledge, and skills needed to help you get the best outcome in your case. Contact us now to learn more about how we can help.
Types of Auto Accident Claims A Qualified Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You With
An auto accident affects every aspect of your life. Property damage can set you back financially, and loss of transportation impacts your ability to work and care for your family. Finances are just the beginning—accident injuries can be devastating.
Depending on the severity of the crash, you may be facing overwhelming medical bills, ongoing care, or lifelong physical impairment.
These are serious cases. If you have been injured in any motor vehicle accident due to the negligence of another party, look to van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin to get you back on your feet quickly. Lean on our Philadelphia car accident lawyers for strength during your recovery.
We handle auto accident claims involving:
- Car Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Fatigued Driver Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Negligent Entrustment
- Rear End Accidents
- Texting While Driving Accidents
- Unsafe Roadway Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Lyft Accidents
- School Bus Accidents
- Mass Transit Accidents
- And more…
Navigating the complexities of an auto accident is no small feat, particularly when you are juggling medical treatments, emotional stress, and financial hardships. Understanding that each accident is unique, with its own set of challenges, our experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers at van der Veen, Hartshorn, and Levin are equipped to handle a wide array of claims. Whether you have been the victim of a distracted driving accident or are facing the consequences of a hit and run, we are committed to advocating for your best interests. Our comprehensive legal services extend to even specialized cases involving commercial vehicles, mass transit accidents, and pedestrian injuries, among others.
Your recovery journey shouldn't be burdened by legal complexities and negotiations. Allow us to shoulder the legal responsibilities while you focus on healing and rebuilding. We take pride in our holistic, client-centered approach, ensuring you receive the personalized legal counsel you deserve. With our support, you are not just another case number; you are an individual in need of justice and fair compensation, and we are here to ensure you get just that.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer Near Me
Why You Should Work With a Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer From van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin
Many people hesitate to contact an attorney after a crash, wondering whether or not working with a lawyer is really necessary. While you have no legal obligation to contact an attorney, doing so can improve your chances of recovering the maximum amount of money that you are owed, and can also provide you with a sense of confidence and comfort throughout the process.
Here are some important ways that our auto accident attorneys in Philadelphia, PA can help you after a car crash:
- Investigating your accident. Fault in a crash is not always clear, and even when it is, the right evidence must be collected to prove it. Fault, or negligence, can have a big impact on the amount of money that you receive in a settlement offer, and unless you prove the negligence of the other driver (or other at-fault party), you may be unable to recover compensation at all. The investigation starts as soon as we learn about your accident, collecting all evidence. This includes physical evidence, pictures of the accident scene, police reports, video footage, witness statements, and more.
- Filing your claim. Filing can be confusing. You may not know how to file your claim after an accident, or against whom. This is especially true if the accident was caused by a party other than another driver, such as the manufacturer of a defective auto part. Our Philadelphia car accident lawyers can help you file your claim against the appropriate party in a timely manner.
- Proving damages. If you are injured in a crash and suffer losses, you may assume that the insurance adjuster responsible for processing your claim will recognize this and you’ll be compensated. Unfortunately, you will need to prove the full extent of your losses in order to recover any compensation. Our accident attorneys can assist you in gathering medical bills, working with experts, and proving damages.
- Negotiating for a fair settlement offer. Frequently, insurance adjusters offer claimants less than they deserve, hoping that the claimant will take the money in desperation and frustration. When your settlement offer does not address the full amount of damages you have suffered, we will aggressively negotiate for a more suitable settlement amount.
- Taking your claim to court. When a settlement cannot be reached, our Philadelphia car crash attorneys will be prepared to take your case to court.
- Identifying all liable parties. Many people assume they know who was at fault in their accident. It is not uncommon, however, for multiple parties to be at fault and potentially liable. Lacking knowledge of the law and experience handling motor vehicle crashes, accident victims can easily overlook responsible parties. We identify all parties who may be liable for your injuries, to make sure you recover from all.
- Securing maximum compensation. When insurance companies, other drivers, and defense attorneys know you do not have an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, they take advantage of you during settlement negotiations. An experienced car accident attorney is instrumental in ensuring that you receive the full compensation to which you are entitled. We are not afraid to take on insurance companies and defense teams, whether in negotiations or trial.
If you have been injured in a car crash due to the negligence of another, you cannot afford to take matters into your own hands. As highly skilled auto accident attorneys in Philadelphia, PA, we take the burden of pursuing justice and rightful compensation off your shoulders. With decades of hands-on car accident experience, we position you to successfully recover quickly and fully.
- Unmatched Support: Navigating the Fallout of a Car Accident
"I was involved in a car accident while 13 weeks pregnant. I didn’t know where to turn until a friend gave me a number and said “Hey, check out this lawyer”. I did just that, and even though the process was long, which I expected, it was the best decision I've made in a long time. In the end, we won! I have to thank Mr. Hartshorn and his team for everything they have done for not only me but my family as well. I could not have picked a better lawyer! Thank you all so very much! On a scale of 1 to 10, you guys are a 100!"- Deasia C. / Client★★★★★
- Seamless Experience: Legal Excellence Meets Compassionate Care
"Wonderful experience with this law firm after getting hit last summer. The whole staff is on top of things and communicates well. A special shoutout to the attorney who handled my case and negotiated my medical bills. I was able to get the care and treatment I needed with minimal stress because they handled it all!"- Amanda A. / Client★★★★★
- Effortless Recovery: Comprehensive Care and Exceptional Communication
"Going with this law firm for my auto accident case was the best advice anyone ever gave me. I was very impressed with my results and the way they handled my case and me."- Ant F. / Client★★★★★
- Prompt and Precise: An Automobile Settlement that Stands Out
“I wanted to thank you for the excellent work you did as my attorney with the settlement of my automobile accident. I know you have a lot of clients, so your prompt responses and attention to detail really meant a lot to me.”- Jarrett H. / Client★★★★★View All Client Reviews
What Caused Your Car Accident?
Each year, numerous car accidents happen on Philadelphia roads due to a range of factors. Understanding the underlying causes can be critical for both prevention and legal recourse. Here are some common causes of car accidents in the city:
- Texting While Driving: If the other driver was distracted because they were texting, this lapse in attention can have serious legal implications. This type of negligent behavior is one of the leading causes of road accidents in Philadelphia and can be a significant factor in your case.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol or drug consumption compromises driving abilities. If a drunk driver caused your accident, this will support your claim and may result in punitive damages against the at-fault motorist.
- Fatigued Driving: Fatigue can severely impact a driver's ability to make safe decisions on the road. It is crucial to bring up in your legal proceedings if the other driver's inattentiveness or fatigue was the cause of your accident.
In the wake of an accident, securing competent legal representation should be a priority. Our team of specialized personal injury attorneys is prepared to answer all your questions and provide you with an honest assessment of your situation. We are committed to fighting tirelessly to achieve the best possible results for you and your family.
Exceptional Case Results: How Our Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers Secure Multi-Million Dollar Settlements in Auto Accident Cases
Choosing the right representation in motor vehicle accident cases can make the difference between insufficient compensation and securing the financial future you deserve. At van der Veen, we pride ourselves on our proven track record of delivering exceptional results for our clients. The following case results are a testament to our unwavering dedication, legal prowess, and commitment to justice. These cases range from motorcycle accidents involving uninsured drivers to devastating tractor-trailer collisions, and they demonstrate our capacity to secure multi-million dollar judgments and settlements.
High-Stakes Motorcycle Accident Case Yields $31.5 Million Judgment
During a tragic July 4th weekend, a young newlywed suffered life-altering injuries due to an uninsured driver's reckless left turn in front of his motorcycle. In the end, van der Veen successfully secured a monumental $31.5 million judgment against the at-fault driver, offering our client a significant measure of justice and financial stability.
$10 Million Settlement Achieved in Contentious Tractor-Trailer Incident
A mother faced the unimaginable when her healthy child sustained a traumatic brain injury, requiring lifelong medical attention. Despite the insurance company's refusal to accept fault for the tractor-trailer accident, Attorney Michael van der Veen steadfastly represented the family. Ultimately, on the fourth day of the trial, a settlement of $10 million was accepted, rewarding the client's faith in our legal expertise.
Pioneering $4.8 Million Settlement in Bicycle Accident Case
Our relentless pursuit of justice aided a victim who nearly lost her life when a drunk driver rear-ended her while she was cycling. Due to Mr. van der Veen's steadfast commitment, a substantial $4.8 million settlement was obtained. This held the offending driver accountable and ensured our client's future medical expenses would be covered.
Federal Jury Verdict of $4.25 Million in Complex Tractor-Trailer Case
In a lawsuit fraught with legal challenges, Michael van der Veen's client, who became tetraplegic following a tractor-trailer collision, was awarded $4.25 million by a Federal jury. Through rigorous litigation, van der Veen effectively refuted all of the insurance company's attempts to evade responsibility, securing a favorable outcome for our client.
Successful $3.25 Million Settlement in Cement Truck Accident Litigation
After a devastating accident involving a cement truck left our client with debilitating injuries, she was declared completely disabled by the Social Security Administration. Guided by Mr. van der Veen's skilled legal counsel, she received a $3.25 million settlement that addressed her injuries, loss of wages, and future medical needs comprehensively.
These case results are not just numbers; they represent lives dramatically improved by the relentless advocacy and legal expertise of van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin. Each case comes with its own unique set of challenges, yet our firm has consistently demonstrated an ability to navigate these complexities and secure just compensation for our clients. Whether dealing with uninsured drivers, uncooperative insurance companies, or life-altering injuries, our results speak volumes about our capability and dedication. With van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin as your legal partner, you can be confident in our ability to pursue the justice and financial security you are entitled to.
Introduction to Pennsylvania Car Accident Laws
Car accidents can turn your life upside down. They can hurt you physically, emotionally, and financially. If you're in Pennsylvania, you should know the state has its own set of rules for dealing with car crashes. This introduction will help you understand these rules, which can be really important if you ever get into an accident.
- No-Fault Insurance - Pennsylvania lets drivers pick their own type of car insurance. You can go for "no-fault" insurance, which means your own insurance company will pay for your medical bills and lost wages no matter who caused the crash. The other option is "traditional" insurance, which lets you go after the other driver right away if they're at fault.
- Who's At Fault? - In Pennsylvania, you can still get some money even if the accident was partly your fault. But the money you get will be reduced based on how much you're to blame. If you're more than half at fault, though, you can't get any money.
- Time Limit for Lawsuits - If you want to sue someone because of the accident, you have to do it quickly. For injuries, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. For car damage, it's four years. Miss these deadlines, and you're out of luck.
- Reporting the Accident - Some accidents have to be reported to the police. You need to do this if someone is hurt or killed, or if the cars are badly damaged. If you don't, you could get in trouble.
- Uninsured Drivers - Even though it's the law to have car insurance in Pennsylvania, some people don't. That's why it's a good idea to have extra insurance that covers you if the other driver doesn't have enough.
- DUI Penalties - Driving while drunk or on drugs is a big deal in Pennsylvania. If you're caught, you could lose your license, pay a lot of money, or even go to jail.
In short, if you're in a car accident in Pennsylvania, it's really helpful to know the rules. If something bad does happen, talking to a lawyer who knows about car accidents can make a big difference in getting you the money you deserve.
What to Do Right After a Car Crash: A Simple Guide
Getting into a car accident is stressful and confusing. But knowing what to do next can make a big difference. Here's a simple, step-by-step guide to help you know what actions to take immediately after a crash.
Step 1: Check for Injuries
First thing's first: make sure everyone is okay. If anyone is hurt, call for an ambulance right away.
Step 2: Move to Safety
If you can, move your car out of the way of traffic. Turn on your hazard lights or use flares to let other drivers know there's a problem.
Step 3: Call the Police
Even for small accidents, you should get the police involved. They'll write a report, which can be really important when you're dealing with insurance later.
Step 4: Take Pictures
Snap some photos with your phone. Get pictures of your car, the other car, and the whole scene. This can help prove what happened.
Step 5: Swap Info
Trade names, phone numbers, and insurance info with the other driver. Try to stay calm and don't argue about who's at fault.
Step 6: Find Witnesses
If anyone saw what happened, get their contact info. They can help tell the story of what really happened if there are any disagreements later.
Step 7: Call Your Insurance
Let your insurance company know about the accident as soon as possible. The sooner they know, the sooner they can start helping you out.
Step 8: Talk to a Lawyer
If the accident was serious, it's a good idea to get some legal advice. A Philadelphia car accident lawyer from van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin can help you understand what you're up against and what your rights are.
Step 9: Keep All Your Paperwork
Hold onto all the paperwork and receipts that have to do with the accident. This includes medical bills, repair bills, and any messages or emails you send or get.
Step 10: Be Careful Getting Back on the Road
Once you've taken care of everything, it's time to get back to your life. Just be extra careful when you're driving. No one wants to go through this more than once.
Remember, this guide is just to get you started. It’s always best to talk to professionals for any legal or medical advice.
Auto Accident Documentation Form: A Comprehensive Car Accident Information Gathering Resource
Getting into a car accident is an overwhelming experience, but gathering the right information at the scene can make a world of difference when it comes to understanding your legal rights and responsibilities. Our easy-to-use form is designed not just as a helpful resource but also as a tool that encourages you to engage more with this crucial aspect of post-accident procedure. By filling out this form, you're taking an essential step toward ensuring that your legal case is as strong as it can be.
Please take a moment to download the form below. Filling it out will facilitate your attorney's work and can also speed up the insurance claim process.
Engage with our page for more resources, and don't hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation to discuss your case in detail. Our team of Philadelphia car accident attorneys is here to guide you through the complexities of filing a claim.
Navigating the Aftermath of Car Accidents in Philadelphia
The moments, days, and weeks following a car accident can be an overwhelming and stressful time, especially when you are dealing with injuries, property damage, and the complexities of insurance claims. Navigating through this period requires a strategic approach and often, expert legal guidance. Here’s how to proceed:
Immediate Steps to Take at the Accident Scene
- Prioritize Safety: Your first concern should be the well-being of everyone involved. Ensure you are in a safe position away from traffic and, if possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road.
- Contact Authorities: Dial 911 to report the accident. Police will provide an official report that can be pivotal in your case.
- Gather Evidence: Collect as much information as you can from the scene. This includes taking photographs, noting road conditions, and speaking to witnesses.
- Immediate Care: Even if you feel fine, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Certain injuries, like whiplash or internal injuries, may not manifest immediately.
- Documentation: Keep detailed records of medical evaluations, treatments, and any prescribed medications. These will be valuable in substantiating your injury claims.
- Consult a Lawyer: Before speaking to insurance companies, consult with an experienced car accident lawyer. Insurance companies often aim to minimize payouts, and an attorney will protect your interests.
- File Claims: Your attorney can help you file insurance claims and, if necessary, initiate a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
- Report the Accident: Notify your insurance company about the accident. Provide only factual information and avoid admitting fault.
- Claim Assessment: The insurance company will investigate the accident and may require you to give a recorded statement or attend a medical examination.
- Settlement Negotiation: Your attorney will negotiate a fair settlement based on medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and other relevant factors.
- Litigation: If a satisfactory settlement can’t be reached, your attorney may recommend going to court.
Emotional and Psychological Support
- Seek Support: The emotional impact of a car accident should not be underestimated. Support from loved ones and potentially, professional counseling, can be highly beneficial.
- Maintain Routine: As much as your physical condition allows, maintain a daily routine to help alleviate stress and to foster a sense of normality.
Understanding how to effectively navigate the aftermath of a car accident can be challenging but it is crucial for your physical and financial recovery. Our dedicated team of auto accident attorneys is here to guide you every step of the way, ensuring you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Understanding the Legal Process After a Car Accident
After a car accident, there's more to sort out than just insurance claims and car repairs. There's a legal process that often comes into play, especially if someone is injured or there's significant property damage. This can feel intimidating, but knowing what to expect can make it less overwhelming. Here’s a breakdown of the typical legal steps you might face:
1. Consult an Attorney
It's important to talk to a qualified car accident lawyer first, especially if there was significant damage to property, a serious injury, or a death. Legal professionals can help you figure out how to handle liability, the claims process, and potential compensation.
This initial phase involves gathering all the evidence and information. This could be photographs from the accident scene, witness statements, or police reports. Your lawyer will try to collect as much relevant information as possible.
3. Filing an Insurance Claim
Usually, the next step is to file an insurance claim. Your lawyer can help you fill out any required paperwork and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.
4. Demand Letter
If negotiations with the insurance company are unsuccessful or unsatisfactory, your attorney might send a 'demand letter.' This letter outlines your case, the damages you've suffered, and the amount of money you're seeking.
5. Lawsuit Filing
If the demand letter doesn’t lead to a satisfactory resolution, the next step could be filing a lawsuit. This formalizes your claim and sets the stage for either a settlement or a trial.
6. Discovery Phase
Both sides will exchange information during the 'discovery' phase. This might involve answering written questions or providing documents.
7. Pre-trial Motions
Before the trial, both parties can file motions to ask the court to make certain rulings. For example, a motion could request to exclude certain evidence from being shown at trial.
8. Settlement Discussions
Even after a lawsuit is filed, parties often still negotiate to reach a settlement. Many cases are resolved at this stage without ever going to trial.
If no settlement is reached, the case will go to trial. Both sides present their arguments, and either a judge or a jury will make a final decision.
10. Post-trial Motions and Appeals
After the trial, either party can file post-trial motions or even appeal the decision to a higher court, although this is relatively rare.
Understanding these steps can help alleviate some of the uncertainty you might feel after a car accident. While every case is unique, this general outline offers a helpful starting point. Always consult with professionals for tailored legal advice.
Injured in a Car Accident?
An Experienced Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin Can Help You Figure Out How Much Your Car Accident Claim is Worth
It isn’t uncommon for insurance companies to try to offer a lowball settlement in order to minimize their losses. It is, therefore, important to know the value of your car accident claim to avoid settling for less than you deserve.
While no one can guarantee the amount that you will receive as compensation for your accident, our team can help you determine the approximate value of your claim based on various factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your age and the condition of your health at the time of the accident
- The circumstances of your life at the time of the accident, including your job, how much you were earning, and whether you have dependents
- How the accident occurred
- Who is at fault for the accident
- Whether insurance is available to cover your losses
We understand that money cannot solve all your problems after a car accident. However, seeking financial compensation can help relieve a lot of the economic pressure resulting from the incident. We can help you and your family find financial stability after your car accident, so you can begin to get your life back on track.
Types of Damages We Can Help You Recover
The law in Pennsylvania allows car accident victims to recover compensation for their damages from the at-fault party. Various types of damages are available for victims after a car accident. These include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost capacity to earn
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- And many more
We are experienced in recovering compensation on behalf of car accident victims. We will work to review the circumstances of your claim to recover maximum compensation on your behalf. We will identify all the damages you are eligible to recover and pursue full compensation.
Our Consultations Are Always Free
Call an Accomplished Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyer at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin for a Free Case Evaluation
If you have been injured, you need legal representation right away. While we aggressively seek compensation from negligent parties, we provide the compassionate representation you need to focus on recovery.
Our auto accident attorneys in Philadelphia, PA are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, and through a free initial consultation, we work quickly to develop a winning strategy for you. Contact van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin online or call 215-486-0123. You can also visit the firm’s downtown Philadelphia office, easily accessible on the SEPTA line.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Car Accident Victims in Philadelphia
Navigating the aftermath of a car accident can be confusing and stressful, especially when you're dealing with complex laws and regulations. To help you better understand your situation, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions and their answers for car accident victims in Philadelphia.
We hope this FAQ section helps you better understand what to do if you're involved in a car accident in Philadelphia. If you have more questions, check out our Car Accident Video Library or reach out to us for a free consultation if you are in need of personalized legal advice.