Philadelphia Child Custody Attorney
Child custody cases are often extremely difficult, and they can be quite contentious. Courts in Pennsylvania, as in many other states, rely on the “best interests of the child” standard when determining what type of child custody arrangement is appropriate. If you need assistance with your child custody case, you should seek assistance from an experienced Philadelphia child custody attorney.
Types of Child Custody in Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia courts award both legal and physical custody to parents in a child custody case. In many situations, child custody cases will arise out of a divorce in which there are minor children from the marriage. Yet child custody cases can also come up when unmarried parents decide to break up, or in situations where a biological parent comes forward to seek parental rights. Here is how Pennsylvania law defines the different types of child custody in the state:
- Sole legal custody, in which only one parent has exclusive legal custody of the child, and the “right to make major decisions on behalf of the child, including, but not limited to, medical religious, and educational decisions”;
- Shared legal custody, in which both parents share legal custody of the child and both share the rights outlined above;
- Sole physical custody, in which only one parent has exclusive physical custody of the child, which involves the “actual physical possession and control of a child”; and
- Shared physical custody, in which both parents “assume physical custody of the child, each having significant periods of physical custodial time with the child.”
Pennsylvania law also uses the term “partial physical custody,” which refers to a situation in which one parent or one part has a “right to assume physical custody of the child for less than a majority of the time.”
Factors for Determining Child Custody in Philadelphia
Courts can take into account a wide variety of factors when determining what is in the best interest of the child for purposes of awarding child custody. Pennsylvania law makes clear that the court should consider all relevant factors and should give particular weight to any factors that concern the child’s safety. Examples of some of the factors a court will consider include but are not limited to:
- Which parent is more likely to encourage frequent and continuing contact between the child and the other parent;
- History of child abuse or domestic violence
- Child’s relationship with siblings;
- Child’s preference in situations where the child can articulate a well-reasoned preference based on the child’s maturity and judgment;
- Likelihood of the parents to attend to the child’s daily caretaking needs;
- Proximity of the parents’ residences;
- Level of conflict that currently exists between the parents;
- History of alcohol or drug abuse by either of the parents; and
- Mental and physical health of the parties.
There are numerous other factors that the court may consider that are specifically enumerated in the statute, and the court can also consider any other relevant factors that are not listed.
Contact a Child Custody Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
When you are facing a child custody case, it is essential to have an experienced Philadelphia child custody attorney on your side.
Contact van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin to learn more about the services we provide to clients in Pennsylvania.
What Clients Say About UsCaring Deeply About Our Clients and Their Families
“Micheal van der Veen was my attorney and he did an outstanding job on my case. He really listens and cares about your situation no matter how big or small and also makes you feel right at home when your in his office.”- Matt Swisher
“The van der Veen team treats you as family. We win together. You are not just a client, but a family member when you choose this office.”- Antonio Walker
“It has been a real pleasure to work with Mr. van der Veen and his team. They really care not only about the case and the legal issues, but mainly about the person. The legal work is excellent and the result in our case was simply outstanding!”- Nadia Hristova
Throughout the years, our firm and our individual attorneys have been recognized in both local and national media for our extensive legal knowledge, experience, and record of success. Our attorneys frequently appear in the media to provide insight and information on various legal matters, including high-profile cases.
Choosing the Right Firm Can Make All the Difference
Unrivaled Record of SuccessWe have won tens of millions of dollars for injured victims, and have achieved countless "not guilty" verdicts for clients faced with criminal charges.
No Challenge too BigOur firm has handled some of the biggest cases in country, including representing the President of the United States.
We understand that every case is unique. Therefore, we tailor our approach based on the facts of the case and the needs of our client.
Uncompromising PassionOur competitive nature is one of our strongest qualities. You can be confident that no other firm will outwork our team.
Holistic ApproachNot only do we want to excel legally for the client, but we also want to make sure we are strengthening their mind, body and spirt.
Supporting the CommunityOur team engages in many community events and regularly donates time and resources to many charitable organizations in Philadelphia.
Home to Philadelphia’s most accomplished attorneys, van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin pairs diverse practice experience with a passion-driven, comprehensive law practice—all for the client’s benefit.