Your Guide to the Time Frame for a Car Accident Injury Claim
Being involved in a car accident can be devastating. Many car accident victims are left to deal with extensive injuries that may require intensive medical treatment and attract hefty medical bills. The last thing you want to deal with is a car accident claim. You may even be asking, ‘How long after a car accident can you claim injury?’ Below, we take a look at important deadlines to be aware of after a car accident. We also discuss why it is important to get started on the claims process as soon as possible.
Injured in a Car Accident?
Important Timelines in Filing a Car Accident Claim in Pennsylvania
- Statute of Limitations: The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim, including car accident claims, in Pennsylvania, is typically two years from the date of the accident. This means you have two years to file a lawsuit in court seeking compensation for your injuries and damages. If you miss this deadline, you may lose your right to pursue a claim.
- Notice of Claim: If your car accident claim is against a government agency or entity, such as a municipal government or a government-owned vehicle, you may need to provide written notice of your claim within six months of the accident.
- Insurance Deadlines: You should promptly report the accident to your insurance company and comply with their specific deadlines for filing a claim. Failing to report the accident in a timely manner could impact your ability to collect compensation from your own insurance policy.
It's important to note that the specific deadlines and requirements may vary depending on the circumstances of your case and the entities involved. Additionally, laws and regulations can change, so it's crucial to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in Pennsylvania to get the most up-to-date and accurate information on the timelines and requirements for your car accident claim. An attorney can guide you through the process and help you meet all the necessary deadlines to protect your rights and seek the compensation you deserve.
- Unmatched Support: Navigating the Fallout of a Car Accident
"I was involved in a car accident while 13 weeks pregnant. I didn’t know where to turn until a friend gave me a number and said “Hey, check out this lawyer”. I did just that, and even though the process was long, which I expected, it was the best decision I've made in a long time. In the end, we won! I have to thank Mr. Hartshorn and his team for everything they have done for not only me but my family as well. I could not have picked a better lawyer! Thank you all so very much! On a scale of 1 to 10, you guys are a 100!"- Deasia C. / Client★★★★★
- Seamless Experience: Legal Excellence Meets Compassionate Care
"Wonderful experience with this law firm after getting hit last summer. The whole staff is on top of things and communicates well. A special shoutout to the attorney who handled my case and negotiated my medical bills. I was able to get the care and treatment I needed with minimal stress because they handled it all!"- Amanda A. / Client★★★★★
- Effortless Recovery: Comprehensive Care and Exceptional Communication
"Going with this law firm for my auto accident case was the best advice anyone ever gave me. I was very impressed with my results and the way they handled my case and me."- Ant F. / Client★★★★★
- Prompt and Precise: An Automobile Settlement that Stands Out
“I wanted to thank you for the excellent work you did as my attorney with the settlement of my automobile accident. I know you have a lot of clients, so your prompt responses and attention to detail really meant a lot to me.”- Jarrett H. / Client★★★★★
Why You Should Act Quickly Following a Car Accident in Pennsylvania
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident isn’t easy. Many car accident victims not only have to deal with physical injuries but also the economic strain that comes along with them. The last thing that you will want to deal with after a car accident is a car accident claim. However, it is important that you act quickly. There are several reasons for this.
- Statute of Limitations and Other Deadlines: In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations sets a specific time limit within which you can file a personal injury claim (2 years for most personal injury claims). If you miss this deadline, you may lose your right to seek compensation through the legal system. Acting promptly ensures you don't inadvertently exceed the statute of limitations.
- Preservation of Evidence: Over time, evidence related to your car accident can become lost, destroyed, or altered. Acting quickly allows you to gather and preserve crucial evidence, such as witness statements, accident reports, photographs, and medical records, which can be essential for proving liability and the extent of your injuries.
- Witness Recollection: Witnesses' memories can fade, making it more challenging to obtain accurate statements or testimony if you wait too long. By acting promptly, you increase the likelihood of obtaining fresh and reliable witness accounts.
- Insurance Claims: Insurance companies often have their own deadlines for reporting accidents and filing claims. Failing to adhere to these deadlines can result in the denial of your claim or a reduced settlement offer. Promptly reporting the accident to your insurance company is essential.
- Financial Recovery: Seeking compensation for medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering may be crucial for your financial well-being. The sooner you file your claim, the sooner you can potentially receive the compensation you need to cover these expenses.
- Legal Process Duration: The legal process can be time-consuming, and it can take months or even years to resolve a personal injury claim. Filing your claim early helps initiate the legal process sooner, potentially leading to a faster resolution and the receipt of compensation.
- Peace of Mind: Filing your claim promptly can provide you with a sense of closure and relief. It allows you to begin the process of seeking compensation and recovering from the physical, emotional, and financial effects of the accident.
For these reasons, it's generally in your best interest to act quickly in the aftermath of a car accident. Consulting with a qualified personal injury attorney can help you understand the specific deadlines and requirements for your case and ensure that you take the necessary steps to protect your rights and seek the compensation you deserve. The team at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin is ready and available to review and discuss the details of your case with you for free.
- $35.1 MillionPersonal Injury
- $10 MillionPersonal Injury
- $4.8 MillionPersonal Injury
- $4.25 MillionPersonal Injury
- $3.25 MillionPersonal Injury
Schedule a Free Consultation and Get Started on Your Case Right Away
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Philadelphia or the surrounding areas in Pennsylvania, don’t hesitate to get in touch with van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin. We’ll review your case for free and get started on your claim right away. We’ll fight for the best outcome. Don’t waste another moment. Contact our law firm now to consult with legal professionals who understand the intricacies of car accident and personal injury law in Pennsylvania.