Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Skip to main content Close Menu

Allentown Domestic Violence Attorney

Being a victim of domestic violence is a devastating reality for some women, children, and men living in Allentown, Pennsylvania. For those who are suffering from domestic violence, understanding one’s rights, options, and how to move forward while still saying safe can feel impossible. At the law office of van der Veen, O’Neill, Hartshorn, and Levin, we know how desperate you may feel if you are a victim of domestic violence, and we want to help you get the protection you need. If it is safe to do so, please reach out to our Allentown domestic violence attorneys immediately for counsel you can trust.

Domestic Violence Protection from Abuse Orders

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you can seek a protection from abuse order, which is a type of restraining order. A protection from abuse order (PFA) can provide the following types of protections:

  • Order the abuser to not harass, stalk, threaten, or use physical force against you;
  • Order the abuser to leave a shared home;
  • Provide you with temporary custody over any shared children;
  • Order the abuser to pay temporary support to you;
  • Order the abuser to forfeit any weapons and firearms; and
  • Order the abuser to pay you relief, including compensation for medical bills, psychiatric services, legal fees, and more.

Defining Domestic Abuse in Allentown

In order to seek a protection from abuse order, you will need to prove that you are a victim of domestic violence. Abuse refers to acts between family or household members involving bodily injury, rape, sexual assault, involuntary deviant sexual intercourse, incest, indecent assault, false imprisonment, physical or sexual abuse of a child, and causing fear of immediate bodily injury.

How to Get a Protection from Abuse Order in PA

In order to get a PFA order in Pennsylvania, you’ll need to file a petition with the court that explains why you are seeking protection and the type of abuse you’ve been subjected to. The judge will then review your petition, and may grant you a temporary order without a hearing. Even if the judge grants a temporary order without a hearing, you will still need to attend a hearing at a later date in order to get a final PFA order, which can last for a period of up to three years. Note that even if courts are closed, you can still file for an emergency protective order.

Helping You Throughout the Process

Requesting a protective order can be extremely intimidating, especially if you are afraid of the repercussions of doing so. At the law office of van der Veen, O’Neill, Hartshorn, and Levin, we can provide you with the representation and support you need, and will assist you in filing your petition and presenting your case during a hearing. We can also aid you in taking steps after you have a protective order, including filing for a divorce and seeking custody of your children if relevant.

To learn more about the protections available to you and how our lawyers can help, please call our Allenton domestic violence lawyers today for a consultation. We are here to help you.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation