Philadelphia Sex Crimes Attorney
Fighting to defend your honor and freedom in emotionally-charged sex crimes cases
While all criminal charges have serious penalties, the consequences of a sex offense are among the most devastating. Mere allegations can destroy personal and professional relationships, and forever color people’s perception of you. A conviction can result in jail time and the ramifications of being labeled a sex offender stay with you forever. With everything on the line in sex crimes cases, you cannot afford a second-tier attorney. van der Veen, O’Neill, Hartshorn, and Levin is a first-rate Philadelphia criminal defense firm, advocating non-stop for the rights of the accused. We stop at nothing to protect your reputation, your freedom and your future. With more than two decades of historic verdicts and impressive case success, attorney van der Veen is the Philadelphia sex crime attorney to turn to for hard-hitting representation in sex crimes matters. He has an undisputed reputation as being the most aggressive, hardest working criminal defense attorney in Philadelphia. Isn’t that who you want on your side when facing serious sex crime charges?
What crimes are considered sex offenses in Pennsylvania?
Numerous offenses contained in the Pennsylvania penal code are considered sex crimes:
- Sexual assault
- Statutory sexual assault
- Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
- Aggravated indecent assault
- Indecent assault
- Indecent exposure
- Sex trafficking
- Sexual abuse of children
- Child pornography
- Unlawful dissemination of intimate images
- Distributing or possessing a sexually explicit photo
- Unlawful restraint
- Sexual intercourse with animals
- Open lewdness
Many of these offenses carry substantial monetary penalties, lengthy jail or prison sentences, and felony charges that remain on your criminal record forever. If you are facing criminal allegations involving sex offenses, you need attoreny van der Veen, a veteran Philadelphia sex offense attorney, on your side. Law enforcement efforts to charge and convict you are aggressive, so you need a defense attorney who can outmaneuver and overcome.
What does it mean to be a registered sex offender?
Individuals convicted of certain sex offenses must register as a sex offender with the Pennsylvania State Police. The impact of being a registered sex offender is dramatic:
- Housing—While Pennsylvania law does not prohibit landlords from renting to registered sex offenders, under some circumstances the law does restrict offenders from living near schools, daycare facilities, parks, or other areas frequented by children.
- Employment—Convicted sex offenders are barred from holding certain jobs. Furthermore, because registered sex offenders have to disclose their place of work, employers are often wary of hiring a convicted sex offender.
- Personal relationships—The stigma of being a registered sex offender is real and pervasive. Family members and friends might look at you in a different light, forever impacting your relationships.
The offenses that place someone on the sex offender registry are expansive. Depending on the severity of the crime, an individual might remain on the registry for 15 years to life. Recognizing the high stakes in these cases, we mount a tenacious defense and settle for only the best possible results for you.
Defenses under Pennsylvania sex crimes laws
Generally speaking, there is no standard defense because every sex crimes case is different. It is good to know, however, that there are certain arguments that generally do not serve as a defense under the law:
- I didn’t know she was underage
- She said she was older than she is
- The person accusing me didn’t resist
- He didn’t say no
- My accuser is widely known for being promiscuous
- We are married or were when the alleged offense occurred
While these arguments may not provide you with a defense, as your Philadelphia sex crimes defense attorney, we take the time necessary to develop a personalized and successful defense strategy for you. Through a no-holds-barred style of defense, we have helped countless clients facing devastating sex crimes charges find favorable outcomes. In one of many notable cases, attorney van der Veen defended a falsely-accused young college student. Despite media and prosecutorial attempts to shatter his client’s life, Mr. van der Veen helped him stay strong and overcome the charges against him. This is just one of the countless victories our firm is proud of. Protecting our client’s livelihood and future is Mr van der Veen’s life’s work.
If you are facing sex crimes charges, contact a Philadelphia-based sex crimes defense attorney who provides unrelenting representation and compassionate support
The Philadelphia criminal defense attorneys at van der Veen, O’Neill, Hartshorn, and Levin have a reputation for compassionate, unwavering representation in sex crimes cases in Philadelphia and throughout Pennsylvania. Our attorneys work non-stop to protect your reputation and maintain your freedom. If you are detained, or believe you may be, call (215) 515-6892 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. We are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our office is located in downtown Philadelphia, near the Jefferson SEPTA station.