Philadelphia Trip & Fall Attorney
Accidents happen, but our job is holding negligent parties accountable
You have probably tripped or slipped and fallen down. It happens. Normally, you survive with only your self-esteem being slightly bruised, but trips and falls can cause broken bones, brain injuries or death. When the cause is a broken sidewalk or wet floor in a retail store caused by the negligence of another person or entity, Philadelphia’s knowledgeable and uncompromising personal injury attorneys at van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.
Regardless of the complexity of the case or the tactics used by insurance companies to avoid paying you for the injuries you suffered, our attorneys are relentless and aggressive in their pursuit of the best result for you. Michael T. van der Veen and his team of award-winning injury Philadelphia trip & fall attorneys are dedicated to you and your well-being. We make it possible for you to focus on recovering from your injuries while we take care of holding the responsible party accountable.
Understanding the laws pertaining to trips and falls and slip and falls
Trip and fall or slip and fall accidents are frequently referred to by lawyers and insurance company adjusters as slip and fall cases, but the legal implications are the same no matter what you call it. The negligent conduct for which a property may be held liable is allowing an unsafe or dangerous condition to be created or allowed to continue to exist that causes you to fall and be injured.
Your reason for being on property owned by a person, business or government entity can be a factor in your ability to sue for damages caused by a fall accident. Generally, there are three classifications used to designate your status in relation to the property owner:
- Business Invitee: This is when you enter a property at the express or implied invitation of the owner or person in control of the property. A shopper in a retail store is an example of an invitee. Property owners owe a duty to take steps to warn and protect business invitees from hazards and conditions on the property that could cause them injury.
- Licensee: A licensee is similar to an invitee in entering onto another person’s property with the permission of the owner, but property owners do not owe as high a degree of care to licensees as is owed to invitees. For example, a property owner is not responsible for inspecting the property to discover hidden hazards that could harm a licensee as must be done in cases involving an invitee.
- Trespasser: Entering onto someone’s property without their permission or consent limits the property owner’s duty to you. A property owner only owes a trespasser the duty of not engaging in conduct that would intentionally harm the person.
The duty owed to you by the property owner will be a factor in determining if you receive compensation. Our attorneys are skilled at reviewing the facts of a fall to identify the duty owed to you and the evidence needed to prove it in court.
Common causes of trip and fall and slip and fall accidents that result in injury
Trips and falls can happen just about anywhere. Common causes of injuries include:
- Uneven stairs or walkways
- Broken sidewalks, steps or pavement
- Potholes in parking lots
- Broken floor tiles or ripped carpeting
- Loose, broken or missing handrails
Common places for slip and fall accidents include:
- Icy or snow covered sidewalks or parking lots
- Wet or debris covered floors or aisles in buildings
- Poor lighting conditions in stairwells or parking lots
It takes a hard-working, relentless team of dedicated injury attorneys to investigate and sort out the facts surrounding a fall accident. We know the laws and the causes of fall accidents, so we know what evidence to present and how to present it to convince a judge or jury to rule in your favor.
Contact the aggressive Philadelphia trip & fall accident attorneys if you have been injured
Insurance companies rely on the fact that accidents happen without their clients being at fault. When you need a tough, aggressive Philadelphia trip & fall attorney to stand up to the insurance companies and property owners.
Contact van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin at (215) 486-0123 to schedule a free initial consultation. Or contact us through our website.
Motorcycle Accident $35.1 Million
Truck Accident $10 Million
Bicycle Accident $4.8 Million
Truck Accident $4.3 Million
Truck Accident $3.3 Million
Pedestrian Accident $2.4 Million
Car Accident $1.7 Million
Car Accident by Drunk Driver $1.4 Million
Premises Liability $1.3 Million
Assault by Club Employee $1 Million
Throughout the years, our firm and our individual attorneys have been recognized in both local and national media for our extensive legal knowledge, experience, and record of success. Our attorneys frequently appear in the media to provide insight and information on various legal matters, including high-profile cases.
Unrivaled Record of SuccessWe have won tens of millions of dollars for injured victims, and have achieved countless "not guilty" verdicts for clients faced with criminal charges.
No Challenge too BigOur firm has handled some of the biggest cases in country, including representing the President of the United States.
We understand that every case is unique. Therefore, we tailor our approach based on the facts of the case and the needs of our client.
Uncompromising PassionOur competitive nature is one of our strongest qualities. You can be confident that no other firm will outwork our team.
Holistic ApproachNot only do we want to excel legally for the client, but we also want to make sure we are strengthening their mind, body and spirt.
Supporting the CommunityOur team engages in many community events and regularly donates time and resources to many charitable organizations in Philadelphia.
Home to Philadelphia’s most accomplished attorneys, van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin pairs diverse practice experience with a passion-driven, comprehensive law practice—all for the client’s benefit.