Fierce Representation to Help Accident Victims Get Back on Their Feet
The Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) system is a vital means of transportation for many in and around the Philadelphia area. Serving millions of commuters, SEPTA is the 6th largest rapid transit system in the country in terms of ridership. With a substantial network, consisting of hundreds of buses, subway lines, trollies, and regional trains, operating virtually around the clock, accidents are bound to happen. And they do.
Every year, thousands of innocent commuters and others on the road are injured and left with serious, often debilitating injuries. Legal disputes involving SEPTA vehicles are of a vastly different nature than other personal injury cases, necessitating a higher caliber of personal injury attorney. For the thousands of Pennsylvania residents and visitors injured in SEPTA accidents each year, van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin is an aggressive advocate for victims’ interests. Our nationally renowned Philadelphia SEPTA accident attorneys are tough in the face of complicated, and heavily-defended SEPTA personal injury cases. We do not give up until we have recovered everything to which you are rightfully entitled.
Serious Injuries Necessitate a Serious and Capable SEPTA Accident Attorney
By their very nature, the buses and trains comprising SEPTA’s fleet are disproportionately large in comparison to other vehicles. The sheer size and mass of these vehicles make them inherently dangerous to both passengers and others on the road. Additionally, public transport vehicles are not equipped with personal safety equipment such as seatbelts. Without any means of restraint during a collision, passenger injuries quickly become more severe. When a SEPTA accident has left you with medical bills, lost time at work, and crushing debt, it is imperative that you enlist the help of an accomplished personal injury attorney with dedicated SEPTA accident experience.
Enforcing Your Rights and SEPTA Responsibilities After Devastating Accident Injuries
SEPTA accidents do not always involve collisions with other vehicles or individuals. Given the extensive infrastructure surrounding SEPTA’s public transportation fleet, the areas in and circumstances under which accidents can occur is broad:
- Spills on the floor of SEPTA stations or vehicles
- Improper maintenance of station facilities
- Defects in vehicle or facility product design
- Lack of security at stations or on vehicles
- Defective equipment on SEPTA vehicles
If your injuries are sustained outside of a SEPTA transit vehicle, but at some stage in your commute, SEPTA may be liable and you may be entitled to compensation. The best way to gauge whether or not you can hold SEPTA accountable for your injuries is to consult with a Philadelphia personal injury attorney. With decades of direct experience litigating these disputes, our SEPTA accident attorneys do whatever it takes to secure a favorable outcome in your case.
Our Philadelphia SEPTA Accident Attorneys Offer Clients an Unsurpassed Understanding of SEPTA Accidents and How to Secure Compensation for Injuries
SEPTA accidents are not simple fender-bender personal injury disputes; they are incredibly complex cases. The Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority is considered a public entity under Pennsylvania law. The implication for injured individuals is that successful recovery can only be obtained by navigating a complicated maze of state and local regulations:
- Time Limitations—For most personal injury cases, an injured individual has two years from the date on which the injury was sustained to file a personal injury lawsuit. Victims of SEPTA accidents must put SEPTA on notice of a claim within six months. This preserves the statute of limitations. Otherwise, your ability to bring a claim against SEPTA is restricted. From the moment you contact our Philadelphia-based SEPTA accident attorneys, we work around the clock to make sure you are not missing out on valuable rights to recovery and compensation.
- Economic Recovery Limitations—Under Pennsylvania state law, a SEPTA accident victim is limited to a maximum of $250,000 in recovery. However, in the event that more than one person has been injured, a $1M cap is placed on the incident as a whole. For injured victims and their families, if action is not taken early and swiftly, there may not be any funds available for recovery. Only an attorney with substantial, hands-on experience handling SEPTA claims can be trusted to successfully secure the maximum amount allowable for your injuries.
- Interplay between State and City Laws—The SEPTA network extends far beyond the city of Philadelphia—into Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and neighboring counties—and a maze of city laws operates in conjunction with Pennsylvania state laws governing SEPTA accidents. In order to aggressively fight for an appropriate settlement, your attorney must be intimately familiar with applicable regulations and your rights under these laws.
The procedural and legal nuances in SEPTA accident cases are substantial. Because you only have one opportunity to secure compensation for your injuries, you cannot leave your case to chance—or an attorney who is inexperienced in SEPTA accident litigation.
Contact Our Aggressive Philadelphia SEPTA Accident Attorneys. We Are Committed to Winning Maximum Compensation for Your Injuries
Through a free, no-commitment initial consultation, our Philadelphia SEPTA Accident attorneys begin to assess your case and litigation strategy immediately, so as not to jeopardize important rights to settlement. If your injuries do not allow you to visit our downtown office, we will come to the hospital or your home.
If you have been injured in a SEPTA accident, you have no time to lose. Call van der Veen, Hartshorn and Levin at (215) 486-0123 or contact us online today.