Firm Logo
Call for a Free Consultation215-486-0123

Can You Sue For Road Rage In Pennsylvania?

May 11, 2021

By van der Veen, Hartshorn, Levin & Lindheim

Residents of Pennsylvania were shocked this week to learn that a 47-year-old Pennsylvania woman was killed while traveling to North Carolina with her husband. The married couple were on their way to celebrate their wedding anniversary with friends when the husband accidentally forced another vehicle off the road. Although the husband allowed the driver back on the road, the driver became enraged and aimed a firearm at the couple’s vehicle and fired shots. The wife died from the road rage incident waiting for medical professionals to arrive on the scene.

The story is a tragic one and although the driver has been arrested for first-degree murder, it would not be a surprise if a civil lawsuit also came from the incident. If you or a loved one has been injured in a road rage accident, it is important to know when you can sue for damages.

What is Road Rage?

The term ‘road rage’ is not specifically outlined in the Pennsylvania Criminal Statutes but typically, it is defined as behavior that poses a threat to another person’s safety or property. A person engaging in road rage will typically use their vehicle or their body as a weapon to injure someone else, or to damage another person’s property. In some instances, road rage is a criminal offense, although it does not usually take the deadly turn the most recent story did. When road rage is deemed a criminal offense, it is often charged as aggressive or reckless driving.

When Can You Sue for Road Rage?

Regardless of whether criminal charges are brought after a road rage incident, there are times you may be able to sue a driver that engages in this behavior. To have a valid lawsuit, you first must have sustained injury or property damage as a result of the other driver’s rage. Even if you have sustained damages, whether you can sue will depend on the severity of your injuries and other factors.

Hurt in a Road Rage Accident? Call Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Pennsylvania

No one should become injured as a result of another person’s anger or rage. If you have been hurt, our Allentown personal injury lawyers can help with your case. At van der Veen, Hartshorn, Levin & Lindheim, our skilled attorneys know how to prove injuries caused by road rage so you recover the fair settlement you deserve. Call us today at (215) 486-0123 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation.



Personal Injury
Firm Logo
Allentown Office609 Hamiltion St,Suite 7Allentown, PA 18101Map & Directions
Philadelphia Office1219 Spruce StPhiladelphia, PA 19107Map & Directions
Montgomery County Office411 Cherry St.Norristown, PA 19401Map & Directions
Follow Us
Make A Payment