Firm Logo
Call for a Free Consultation215-486-0123

What to Do if You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse

September 28, 2020

By van der Veen, Hartshorn, Levin & Lindheim

Recently, the Pennsylvania Department of Health issued a report showing a nursing home had given 205 patients doses of hydroxychloroquine. The drug has been touted by some as a cure or prevention method for COVID-19, while other reports have shown it to be very harmful to some individuals, even if they are infected with the virus. Now, the nursing home facility is under fire for administering doses to their patients when the medication was not necessary.

The nursing home facility is already named as a defendant in an employment lawsuit. However, this latest report has many people wondering if their loved ones were the victims of nursing home abuse, and if they have a case. If you suspect that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, it is important that you take the appropriate measures to protect your loved one.

Remove Your Loved One from the Facility

If the extent of the nursing home abuse or neglect is so severe that you fear for your loved one’s safety, it is important to remove them from the home right away. When the situation is urgent, call the police, as they can assist you with removing your family member from the home peacefully.

Speak to Staff Members

If the situation is not so urgent, and you only suspect nursing home abuse or neglect has occurred, first talk to staff members about the situation. If your loved one has injuries, ask for an explanation about how they were sustained. There may be justification for the injuries that do not involve abuse or neglect.

Speak to Your Loved One

Many elderly individuals do not want to come forward about abuse or neglect because they feel ashamed or embarrassed. Other times, the residents in nursing home facilities may not even know that the abuse or neglect is occurring. Speak to them privately about your concerns. If the nursing home staff members do not allow you to speak privately to your loved one, it is a warning sign that further action is needed.

Report the Abuse

The only way to stop the abuse from occurring to your loved one, and perhaps others in the nursing home, is to report it. In Pennsylvania, you can report nursing home abuse to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging. You can also report nursing home abuse to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program of the state.

Call a Pennsylvania Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer

It is devastating to learn that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, but it is important that you take action right away. Although nothing can be done about the losses your loved one has already sustained, they can receive compensation for their injuries, including pain and suffering. If you suspect that your loved one has been the victim of abuse, our Philadelphia nursing home negligence lawyers at van der Veen, Hartshorn, Levin & Lindheim are here to help. Call us today at (215) 486-0123 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation so we can start reviewing your case.



Nursing Home Abuse
Firm Logo
Allentown Office609 Hamiltion St,Suite 7Allentown, PA 18101Map & Directions
Philadelphia Office1219 Spruce StPhiladelphia, PA 19107Map & Directions
Montgomery County Office411 Cherry St.Norristown, PA 19401Map & Directions
Follow Us
Make A Payment